Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ubuntu - Microphone not working after installing recordmydesktop

So i ran into a little problem after installing recordmydesktop and choosing jack as the audio source. I don't know what it did but my microphone wouldn't work after that. I tried everything under troubleshooting sound problems on the ubuntu site but no luck. I don't have a quick and easy solution but what i did was to completely remove pulseaudio and jackd and everything linked to these and then reinstall both.

Don't know if recordmydesktop is broken or something on my Ubuntu 11.04 but i will never install that again, at least not on my setup wich is using Jack and Pulseaudio together.

A good alternative for screen recording with sound is ffmpeg.

Kris over at filmsbykris.com did a nice script to start screen recording with ffmpeg :
http://filmsbykris.com/wordpress/?p=131

But i ran into a problem with this script aswell, there was a lot of background noise and choppy sounds. The solution for me was to change "-i hw:0,0" to "-i pulse" wich would use pulseaudio as a sound input wich is routed to PulseAudio Jack Source wich is receiving input from my microphone.

Hope this helps as i couldn't find anything on the internet about this problem.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment